We all know that relationships are key. We feel connected & appreciated. We can be open, vulnerable, not have to pretend.
But it’s hard at the moment. Lot’s are remote, interactions are virtual. In a recent survey, 71% of managers are finding it hard to build relationships.
So what can we do? Try Showing Care.
Look at a relationship you have. Score 1-10.
1 there is no relationship, 10 being solid.
Whatever your number is, the aim is to move it on 1 number. Just 1. This isn’t about going from 4 to 10. It’s about going 4 to 5. Then 5 to 6. You get the picture.
If your number is 7+, then how do you maintain it?
1. Get to know the whole person, not just the work person
2. Be authentic, rather than the ‘How was your weekend? Great, here’s what I want you to do’ version
3. Get to know what ‘care’ means to them, it’s different for different people.
4. Recognise key moments; achievements in life & work, milestones, challenges, recognition etc
5. Don’t look at this as MORE to do, look at it as the WAY you do it. It’s a style, an attitude, not a task
Maya Angelou once said, “People will forget what you said, what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel.”